Friday, January 13, 2012

Enter: {Supermom}

Here she comes, running down the stairs with a baby on her hip, a phone to her ear, a toddler clinging to her leg, and a 4 course dinner on the stove. She's got her lipstick on, and dons a stylish outfit, with accessories to match. Her house is spotless, and she wears a smile on her face, despite the whirlwind of multitasking that is at hand. She's got it all together.

Here she comes.... and, Surprise! She's not me.


I often hear the same question from friends.
How do you do it all?
Where do you find the time?
Is there anything you're not good at?

And, truthfully, I have some confessions to make.

First of all - I'm not SuperMom. I know, I know...it must come as a shock to you all. Here, you pictured me with my nylon cape, and magic powers...but it just isn't so. I'm a normal mom, living in a normal house, with my normal family.

Sometimes I spend an entire day in my pyjamas. I'll get some crafting done, maybe the dishes will get done, or the bills will get paid. But my hair goes un-brushed, and the kids run around with raspberry jelly in the corners of their mouths from breakfast.

Some other days, I blow dry (AND straighten) my hair, paint my nails with some nude polish, and sport a glossy pair of high heels to the grocery store to get some bread. But, believe me, the house is likely a war zone, or my homework is 5 days behind!

I really don't do it all. And, I certainly don't have the time to do it all!

A few more confessions:

I don't floss as often as I should.

I let my gas tank run on empty for far too long, often creeping to the gas station, praying that we don't stall out in the middle of the road.

I procrastinate everything.

We eat greasy, nutrition-less take out once a week, on average.

I don't sleep. Really. I am up far too late every night, and then am back at it by 7am the next day.

I don't watch TV. I have one silly soap opera that I'm guilty of PVR'ing every day. I don't often find the time to watch the current episodes, but once in a while, I'll spend an entire evening catching up. That's it, though. TV is way down on the bottom of my priority list. Oh, and Grey's Anatomy of course - I do make time for that!

And yes, of course there is plenty I'm not good at.

I can't knit. Not well, anyways.

I shrink clothes in the laundry. Often.

I can't play an instrument, or read sheet music if my life depended on it.

My athletic skills are hurting. I'm pretty sure there's not a single sport I'm good at.

I can't whistle with my fingers.

I can't drive standard. (Well, a standard car, anyways. I did ride a motorcycle for some time. I big, powerful sports bike. Awesome...I know.)
*********************
So, there you have it! There tons I can't do. And, tons I've never tried. And, tons I'd like to try one day!! But as always, we're just livin' and lovin', enjoying each day as it comes, with no promises for tomorrow. I can't promise my house will be clean, I can't promise my hair will be done, but I can promise to enjoy my kids, to smile a lot, and to be happy with everything that I have. Everything else? It can wait.

Happy Friday, Everyone!
xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Loved this. So refreshing (and relieving!!) to know you're human like the rest of us

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny, your "i can't" list is the same as mine...aside from driving standard ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed your list! Sounds very similar to mine...although I did learn to drive standard in a grain truck, of all things (whilst eating a Big Mac...yummy...is it wrong my son's first word was McDicks?) Janita

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...