Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Frosted Buttermilk Banana Cake



So today's post comes from a litre of Buttermilk that has been sitting in my fridge since Novelle's Christening. I used a teeny amount of it (Like, a teaspoon?) for a recipe that weekend, and had NO idea what to do with the rest of it! Since the expiry date was creeping up, I decided to whip up some Buttermilk Banana Bread. As I was searching for a recipe though, I decided that Buttermilk Banana Cake was a tastier option! I couldn't find a recipe that exactly suited what I had on hand though, so I merged a few recipes, and came up with my own.
The result? Heaven.


Frosted Buttermilk Banana Cake

Ingredients
3/4 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 3/4 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3 over ripe bananas
2 tsp lemon juice
1 1/2 c. buttermilk

Frosting
1/4 c butter, softened
1 1/2 c icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla
small amount of milk

Directions
Preheat oven to 300 degrees Celsius. Butter and flour a 9X13 glass baking dish, set aside.

Cream butter and sugars together in a large bowl, until nice and fluffy. Beat eggs into mixture, one at a time, and blend well. Then add vanilla.
In a smaller bowl (I used a 4 cup measuring cup), sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.


Slowly blend flour mixture into butter mixture, alternating with Buttermilk. Mash bananas in a small bowl, together with the lemon juice, and then add to cake mix. Pour batter into your prepared pan.


(extra brownie points if you have a cute baby keeping you company!)

Bake for approximately 1 hour 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.

Now, here is the secret to making a deliciously moist cake: Put the cake directly from the oven, into your freezer! Yep, right into the freezer. I was a little worried the glass would shatter, but it did not. If you're really worried about it, you could always use a 9X13 metal cake pan, and just increase your baking time accordingly. Leave the cake in the freezer for 45 minutes, and them remove.

Now for the icing - cream your butter and icing sugar together until fluffy. Stir in vanilla. Then slowly stir in milk, about a teaspoon at a time, until the icing has reached your desired consistency. I didn't actually measure how much I used, but I imagine it was about 4 tablespoons. Poor icing over cake, and place in the refrigerator for 20 mins before serving.

Now, sit down, and enjoy.


This cake is best served chilled, and is really tasty the next day. So, a perfect dessert to make a day ahead of time!! It will keep for about 4 days.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Amanda doll, can you please give me your email address so I can get you in touch with Momma Rake so you can get your prize? When you leave a comment on my blog I am not able to email you back for some reason. You can send it to:
    mommaslikeme.lacee@gmail.com
    Thanks dear!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...